A Beginner's Guide to Using Essential Oils
So, you just heard about essential oils in Malaysia and their amazing scent, and your interest is piqued in knowing or using this beautiful gift from nature.
Firstly, what are essential oils? They are highly aromatic oils extracted from plants. Essential oils are extracted by distillation using steam or cold press methods. Some are extracted from the plants’ seeds, while others are extracted from the leaves.
Because natural essential oils are highly concentrated, they require a large amount of the plant matter to make just a small amount of oil. Due to its high concentration, the effects of essential oils are incredibly potent such that a little can go a long way.
When essential oils are blended with the right knowledge, based on therapeutic and chemical properties, the blends can prove more effective than using a single oil.
How Do I Use Essential Oils?
Essential oils can be used in two different ways, namely topically and inhalation.
Many natural oils have skin-enhancing properties and can be applied directly on the skin or mixed with your existing skincare products. Essential oils can also be combined with a carrier oil or moisturizer for easy application.
Essential oils are famous for their aroma, which helps create an atmosphere that suits your specific needs. Besides adding essential oils to your beauty or cleaning products, you can infuse the air directly with your favourite scent using a diffuser.
We do not recommend internal use of essential oils without the supervision of a trained clinical aromatherapist.
Start Your Collection With The Following Essential Oils
If you're new to essential oils in Malaysia and not sure which to start with, here are popular essential oils and their uses to help you decide.
1. Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender oil is a multipurpose oil used in aromatherapy. It is distilled from the plant Lavandula angustifolia.
Tips for Using Lavender Essential Oil
- Diffuse the oil in your bedroom to promote night-time relaxation and sleep.
- Add a few drops in your cream, lotion, or moisturizer to get a sweet-smelling aroma and youthful glow.
- Use Lavender oil to create a luxurious bath experience by adding a few drops in your bath or diffuse in the bathroom.
2. Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint oil is extracted from the leaves of the peppermint plant and can also be used for several purposes. It has a cooling, minty scent. Peppermint oil has an energizing aroma that goes well with citrusy, spicy, and woodsy oils.
Tips for Using Peppermint Lavender Oil
- For a fresh scent in the home, add a few drops to your DIY cleaning product.
- You can diffuse with citrus or spicy oil for a fresh scent in the home.
- Dilute peppermint essential oil with a carrier oil and massage your muscles for a cooling sensation after a long day.
3. Lemon Essential Oil
Lemon essential oil is obtained from the peel of fresh lemons using a “cold-pressing” process that pricks and rotates the peel as oil is released. The oil can be diluted and applied topically on your skin as well as diffused for a fresh, zesty aroma.
Tips for Using Lemon Essential Oil
- Drop on cotton balls and put in your car, the bottom of a trash can, or inside your shoes for a fresh-smelling scent.
- Lemon oils can be used to remove pesky labels and adhesives.
- Diffuse for an uplifting and welcoming atmosphere.
4. Frankincense Essential Oil
The Frankincense essential oil has a woody, spicy smell and can be used topically, internally, aromatically. It can be inhaled, absorbed through the skin, steeped into teas, or taken as a supplement.
Tips for Using Frankincense Essential Oil
- Add a few drops to your moisturizer to highlight your beauty and promote a healthy-looking skin and even skin tone.
- Sharpen your senses by diffusing the Frankincense essential oil while studying, doing yoga, or meditating.
- Diffuse to encourage relaxation and calmness.
Natural essential oils in Malaysia are great and serve many useful purposes. As a beginner to essential oils, always research your choice of oil to fully understand its applications and seek advice from healthcare professionals before use.
With some knowledge and high-quality oils, you can start making homemade combinations and enjoy their unique properties, qualities, and uses. To know more about essential oils, feel free to get in touch with us.
- google analytics